Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/steering wheel bearing

Question
QUESTION: hey Tom, I appreciate the info on the turn signal switch thing but the car is not back together just yet. the inner/top race to the bearing has come loose and won't let the horn button assembly go on far enough to snap the lock ring back into the groove. what is the best way to get it back into position without damaging any parts.

ANSWER: HI KEN,,THERE IS A TOOL FOR THIS THAT YOU SCREW ON TO THE STEERING SHAFT WITH 2 FEET THAT PUSH DOWN ON EITHER SIDE OF THE PLATE SO YOU CAN GET THE SNAP RING IN THE GROOVE..SOUNDS LIKE YOU DO NOT HAVE SUCH A TOOL..OK, WELL WHAT YOU NEED THEN IS 2 PEOPLE,ONE WITH STRONG FINGERS TO PUSH DOWN ON THE PLATE AND SOMEONE TO PUSH THE RING INTO THE GROVE WHILE THEY PUSH DOWN ON THE PLATE..IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT THE TOOL BUT IT IS HARD..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND GOOD LUCK,,,TOM..

QUESTION: hey Tom, again I appreciate the info. once I got the bearing back together with the shaft completely up it wasn't much of a problem anymore. anyway, after noticing not having brake lights, (the start of this mess), before working on anything we lost the turn signals the next day. I have replaced the turn signal switch and brake switch and have turn signals again, however, still no brake lights or em fl. the cruise I noticed had a seperate harness with a few wires also and them wires go thru the steering column as well. in your opinion what is my next move. I am very mechanical concerning cars but wiring is a little confusing sometimes......Ken

Answer
HI KEN,HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FUSE FOR THE BRAKE LIGHTS ?? IF NOT PLEASE DO SO..NEXT MOVE IS CK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE POWER ON ONE SIDE OF THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH HARNESS..YOU SHOULD. SO IF YOU DO HAVE POWER THERE JUMP THE HARNESS AND CK THE HARNESS PLUG INTO THE TRUNK AND SEE IF YOU HAVE POWER TO THAT POINT IF NOT YOU HAVE A BREAK IN THE HARNESS SOMEWHERE..MOST IMPORTANT CK FOR POWER AT THE BLS AND GET BACK TO ME..BY THEY WAY WHAT IS em fi ??? GOOD LUCK,,,TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS