Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/ABS and stabalizer warning light

Question
QUESTION: Tom:
I have a 2000 Buick Le Sabre.  I have been getting warning signals about "ABS" and "check stabalizer system".  The lights come on periodically and usually when it is raining.  I live in a wet area.  For awhile I had several warnings lights from: ABS, stabalizer system, turn signal, etc.  I was told that it might be a short in the dash.  When it is dry there are no warning lights except for the ABS and stabalizer lights which come on perodically.  Recently when I come up to a stop sign I can feel the ABS system kicking in for a few seconds as if the car were in a skid or slippery service.  This only happens periodically.

ANSWER: HI RON, WELL LETS ADDRESS THE ABS AND STABALIZER SYSTEM FIRST..THIS IS MORE THEN LIKELY A FAULTY WHEEL SPEED SENSOR..THIS IS VERY COMMON..THE SENSOR IS GOING INTO ABS CONDITION AND THATS WHY THE BRAKES WILL DO THIS JUST BEFORE A STOP. THE ABS SYSTEM ALSO CONTROLS THE STABALIZER SYSTEM THROUGH THE BRAKE SYSTEM.  TWO WAYS OF GOING WITH THIS..GET THE CAR SCANNED AT A SHOP AND HAVE THEM TELL YOU WHAT CODE IS IN THE ABS SYSTEM TO FIND OUT WHICH SENSOR IS BAD. THERE ARE FOUR SENSORS,ONE AT EACH WHEEL..THE SENSORS ARE INCORPORATED IN THE WHEEL BEARING..THEY ARE NOT CHEAP..IF THIS IS NOT IN YOUR BUDGET NOW YOU CAN REMOVE THE ABS FUSE OR RELAY UNDER THE HOOD IN THE FUSE/RELAY BOX. LOOK AT THE PRINTED COVER UNDER THE COVER YOU REMOVED TO THE FUSE BOX TO FIND THE LOCATION OF THE FUSE OR RELAY, JUST REMOVE EITHER ONE..THIS WILL STOP THE ABS BRAKE ENGAGEMNT JUST BEFORE STOPPING BUT THE ABS AND BRAKE LIGHT WILL STAY ON THE DASH..THE BRAKE SYSTEM WILL WORK AS IT SHOULD BUT WILL NOT ANTI-LOCK..IN OUR PARTS THE ABS SYSTEM IS NOT PART OF THE INSP LAW..
NOW AS FAR AS THE TURN SIGNAL LIGHT COMING ON THE DASH,THIS COULD BE FROM A FAULTY TURN SIGNAL SOCKET GROUNDING OUT THE SYSTEM WHICH IN TURN WILL LIGHT THE TURN SIGNAL ON THE DASH..WHEN THIS HAPPENS AGAIN CK WHICH SIDE OF THE DASH SIGNAL LIGHT IS ON AND REMOVE THE LIGHT BULB FROM THAT SIDE OF THE CAR AND SEE IF THE LIGHT ON THE DASH GOES OUT. IF SO YOU FOUND YOUR PROBLEM..
MORE THEN LIKELY THAT SOCKET ASSEMBLY IS FAULTY OR THE BULB IS BAD...TRY A BULB FIRST...LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

QUESTION: Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I can always count on AllExperts for help.  

So if I remove the fuse, the ABS light will still stay on the dash.  Will the stabalizer light come on the panel?

I replaced the signal light bulb and cleaned the connections that were rusted and that warning light doesn't come on anymore.

Ron

Answer
HI RON.OK GOOD,, ONE PROBLEM FIXED...AS FAR AS THE STAB LIGHT COMING ON I AM ONLY GUESSING AT THIS POINT. SOME DO AND SOME DO NOT.ALL DEPENDS HOW IT IS WIRED.. I WOULD NEED TO SEE A WIRING DIAGRAM TO SAY FOR SURE. IF THE LIGHT BOTHERS YOU TAKE SOME ELECTRICAL TAPE AND COVER IT..THIS SYSTEM WILL NOT WORK ANYMORE EITHER..UNLESS YOU GET THE ABS REPAIRED..GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS