Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/1999 Olds Silhouette Rear speakers not working

Question
Hello Tom,

Thanks for taking time time answer my question. We have a 1999 Olds Silhouette. I changed the stock stereo out for a new one. The rear speakers did not work before the switch for radio, but did for video (it had a vcr). Now they don't work at all and will squeal when the radio is turned off. I think it may be the upper console which controls the rear speakers since they worked with the video before. Is there a place I could get a wiring diagram so that I could bypass the rear controls and control the rear speakers directly from the radio (as they are most commonly set up? I'm thinking that I could splice the speakers wires together in the console if I knew which wires were which. I hope this makes sense.

Luke

Answer
HI LUKE, THIS SOUNDS LIKE A IMPEDENCE PROBLEM. THE OHMS FOR THE STOCK SPEAKERS ARE NOT THE SAME OHMS FOR THE NEW SYSTEM. AS FAR AS FINDING THE WIRING DIAGRAM HAVE YOU CHECKED THE NEW SYSTEM. THERE IS USUALLY A DIAGRAM ON IT. AS FOR THE REAR SPEAKERS NOT WORKING FOR THE RADIO BUT DID FOR  THE VCR THIS COULD OF CHANGED IN THE SYSTEM TO ADAPT TO THE STOCK SYSTEM...THIS MAKE SENSE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING,  BUT I AM AFRAID THAT THIS IS OUT OF MY EXPERTISE...I AM NOT INTO RADIO INSTALLATIONS.  THIS JUST SOUNDS LIKE THE NEW SYSTEM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE STOCK SYSTEM..I WISH I COULD HELP YOU OUT FURTHER...GIVE ME A MECHANICAL QUESTION...GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM....

THANKS LUKE FOR THE GOOD RATING. I AM NOT SURE I DESERVE IT THOUGH.. WISH I COULD OF HELPED YOU OUT WITH THIS..TON

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS