Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/carb issues

Question
carb
carb  

carb
carb  
i have a 1980 cutlass supreme with a 350 out of a late 70's Nova with a th350 trans. my carb is a 625 cfm carter afb comp series.i'm having issues with the return spring and trans kickdown cable.what is the correct spring i should use and is there a different cable mounting bracket that would work better than what is on there now?also,any tuning tips for my carter?i have a brief hesitation when i hit the gas.worse when i snap the throttle on the carb.thank you.

Answer
HI FRED,, THE THROTTLE RETURN SPRING LOOKS TO BE TO FAT TO ME..GET A SMALLER IN DIAMETER SPRING WITH THE SAME TENSION ON IT OR MORE IF NEED BE..PART STORES HAVE THESE IN STOCK..AS FAR AS THE KICK DOWN LINKAGE GOES JUST GET A SMALL WASHER TO PUT OVER THIS AND THEN A C CLIP TO HOLD THE KICK DOWN LINKAGE TO THE CARB. THIS SHOULD BE OK LIKE THIS, THIS IS HOW GM DID IT..THE BRACKET LOOKS GOOD TO ME [UNLESS THEY ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH AND THEY ARE BENDING OR FLEXING]...IF SO GET TO THE JUNK YARD AND PICK A FACTORY STOCK BRACKET UP OUT OFF A FOUR BRL QUADRAJET CHEVY..THIS SHOULD TAKE CAR OF YOUR PROBLEM REAL FAST LIKE. AS FOR THE CARBURETOR HESITATING GOES THIS MAY HAVE A ACCELERATOR PUMP PROBLEM, OR ELSE THE FLOAT LEVEL IS TO LOW, DOES IT FALTER GOING AROUND A CORNER GIVING IT GAS. IF NOT THE FLOAT LEVEL IS OK..SO TO CK THIS GET A FLASH LIGHT AND LOOK DOWN THE FRONT 2 VENTURIES AND OPEN THE THROTTLE SLOWLY AND AT A EVEN SPEED YOU SHOULD SEE A NICE FLOW OF FUEL COMING OUT,IF ANY BREAK IN THE FUEL FLOW THE ACCELERATOR PUMP IS FAULTY.IF THIS IS OK WARM THE ENG UP AND ADJUST THE 2 FRONT IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS,,TURN ONE AT A TIME IN UNTILL THE ENG RPM DROPS DOWN,NOW TURN IT BACK OUT SLOW TILL THE RPM PICKS UP AND KEEPS GOING UP WHEN THE RPM STOPS INCREASING STOP THERE..THAT SIDE IS DONE. DO THE SAME TO THE OTHER SCREW.. MAKE SURE THE TIMING AND POINTS [IF THIS HAS POINTS] ARE SET BEFORE DOING ANY ADJUSTING ON THE CARB.   LET ME KNOW HOW THIS GOES AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU...TOM

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS