Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/06' Chevy Malibu again

Question
Hey its Ben again. Thank you for getting back to me but I should've told you that park and neutral are the two gears that it stays engaged.  When the cars in reverse and drive its not engaged.  So should I still try what u suggested or could it be anything else?

Answer
HI BEN,,YES THIS DOES SOUND LIKE A FAULTY NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH [RANGE SELECTOR SWITCH]..IT SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS SHORTED OUT...YOU COULD START THE ENG AND REMOVE THE HARNESS TO THE SWITCH TO STOP THE STARTER FROM ENGAGING..THIS WAY YOU COULD GET IT TO  A SHOP RATHER THEN PAYING FOR A TOW..LOOK AT THE SHIFT CABLE GOING TO THE TRANSMISSION AND WHERE THE SHIFT CABLE GOES TO THE SHIFT LEVER YOU SHOULD SEE A HARNESS THERE...CK TO MAKE SURE THE WIRING GOING TO THIS HARNESS IS OK AND NOT CUT OR CORRODED....IF IT ALL LOOKS OK THEN I AGREE THAT THE SWITCH IS MORE THEN LIKELY BAD. NOW I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YEAR CHEVY CHANGED BUT SOME SWITCHES ARE INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION ITSELF AND SOME ARE ON THE OUTSIDE BY THE SHIFT LEVER..IF YOU DO NOT SEE IT..THEN IT IS INSIDE.....GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM...

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS