Oldsmobile/Buick Repair/What does this mean

Question
Hello Tom, I have an issue that sound rather simple. I own a 92' Buick century estate wagon I've had it for a few months now. When I bought it I noticed something was wrong with the gear shifter. When I go to shift into reverse or drive, sometimes it would go straight into gear and sometimes it wouldn't I would have to rock the selector back and foward and it would eventually catch. However I could leave the car in neutral and lock the park brake and go into reverse or foward with ease. I could manage this I just want to know what's causing it. The biggest problem just started when ever I get up to about 15mph the car stalls like the 2nd gear isn't catching it's bn doing this for two days now any ideas.

Answer
HI TREECE,THE SHIFTER PROBLEM SOUNDS TO ME IF THE SHIFT LINKAGE AT THE TRANSMISSION SELECTOR IS LOOSE,OR THE CABLE THAT SHIFTS THIS INTO GEAR IS STRETCHED..I WOULD GET THIS LOOKED AT BECAUSE IT MAY BREAK ON YOU AND THEN YOU WOULD NOT BE-ABLE TO SHIFT THIS ANYMORE...AS FAR AS THE CAR STALLING AT 15 MPH,, EVEN IF THE TRANSMISSION WAS NOT GOING INTO SECOND GEAR IT WOULD NOT MAKE THE ENG STALL..THIS COULD BE CAUSED BY SEVERAL THINGS.. THIS WILL NEED TO BE HANDS ON DIAGNOSED. I WISH I COULD TELL YOU MORE ON THIS..I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING THIS TO A SHOP AND HAVE THEM RUN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST ON THIS TO SEE IF ANYTHING JUMPS OUT AT THEM..COULD BE IGNTION SHUTTING DOWN NO SPARK OR FAULTY PCM OR WIRING TO THE PCM..[COMPUTER] GOOD LUCK TO YOU,,,TOM....

Oldsmobile/Buick Repair

TOM SHEETS