Olympics/Training at Olympic Level

Question
Hello Bob,
I am doing a project on the Olympics and I am trying to get a grasp on the dedication that is involved. For example, how does preparing for the Olympics affect an athletes diet, social life, and how much training is required. Overall, how is someone's lifestyle changed when they are preparing for an Olympic game?
Thanks!
Lydia

Answer
Hello, Lydia
For a quick answer, in my sport of weightlifting elite level competitors are training 300 days a year and it's rumored that the top Chinese lifters will be training 330 days a year.  Many of these days involve two or three sessions per day.  When you consider the amount of time spent in pre-training sports medical attention, and post training restoration and then the necessity to eat soon after training we are talking about a full day with little time left for anything else.  This type of training requires an athlete to adopt a lifestyle, and very soon most of one's friends are those people living the same lifestyle.  This severely limits the number of people with whom meaningful relationships can develop.  
The timing of eating is very vital to eating and most athletes are eating several meals per day that must be timed in relationship to training.  Of course a certain number of hours must be devoted to quality sleep.  
As a coach I always knew when someone was serious about training when they began to make life decisions outside the gym with respect to the demands of the lifestyle.  They often ended up consulting with me before taking a job, deciding where to live, making a major purchase and other life decisions.  I hope this is helpful.  Good luck with your project.  

Olympics

Bob Takano