Oncology (General Cancer)/Liver Cancer

My name is Samantha. Recently my nephew came over and he was terribly sick. He got my step father sick, and then my mom. My nephew and my step dad was better after 4 days. My mom (a week or more later) is still having stomach pains, fever, loss of appitite, and a horrible cough. She has coughed so much that blook is starting to come up. I think this is more then being sick. I want her to go see a doctor but she wont. I think she is afraid of what the doctor might say. She is a recovered cancer pateint. She had liver cancer between 8-10 years ago and since then she has been fine untill now. I do not know what to think. Should I be worried? Do you think her being sick has something to do with the cancer? Should I push harder for her to go to a doctor?

Coughing up blood is always a bad sign.  It may be recurrent cancer, new cancer, tuberculosis, a fungal infection in the lungs, or just chronic pneumonia.  I don't think the liver cancer 8-10 years ago has anything to do with her current situation, but she really should see a doctor.  This is not good.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years