Oncology (General Cancer)/cancer for smoking

Question
hi

i am 31 years old and have been smoking for long 15 years. earlier i used to smoke a lot around 20 cigarettes a day but for last 1 years but now i have been smoking very less like 4 cigarettes a day. i know still smoking is injurious to health and nothing can be guaranteed but very honestly i need to know that is there any chance of getting cancer with smoking 4 cigarettes a day? also i use a filter while smoking. i agree that quitting is the best solution but i will be happy to have your reply very honestly and straight forward!

Thanks in advance.  

Regards/Omar Farook

Answer
Once you stop smoking, it takes about ten years before your risk of lung cancer gets back towards normal (although it will always be higher than the risk of a non-smoker).  Continuing to smoke even a few cigarettes a day slows down this recovery process.  So yes, you are at higher risk for getting lung cancer by continuing to smoke than were you to stop.  Obviously the fact that you are smoking four cigarettes instead of twenty is an improvement; but if you are really interested in lowering your risk for lung cancer, bladder cancer, cancers of the mouth and esophagus, heart disease, impotence, chronic back problems, and early death (all of which are related to smoking), you should stop smoking entirely.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.