Oncology (General Cancer)/Dark spots

Question
My husband is a 32 year healthy man. We noticed a dark spot on his big toe nail and now it looks like it has gotten bigger and there are other little spots in other areas of the same toe. He has not dropped or smashed his toe that he can recall. After doing an internet search, we were concerned with what we saw. The spot is an almost perfect rectangle that seems to be spreading across his nail and it is a dark brown color but also ranges to a light brown in other areas.

Answer
Although highly unlikely, a dark spot under the nail that is getting larger, and not related to trauma (injury) needs to be seen by a good dermatologist, since melanoma is a possiblity.  There are lots of other things, however, including trauma he didn't notice, fungal infection, and even benign moles under the nail.  Please have it checked out soon.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.