Oncology (General Cancer)/Fear of leukemia

There are just so many tragic stories about leukemia, more than any other kind of cancer. Other cancers I fear include lung and pancreatic because they are the most aggressive and deadly.

I'm not sure you've actually asked a question.  However, if I had to have cancer, I would probably go for leukemia, rather than pancreatic or lung cancer, since leukemia is often curable, and usually can be controlled for a while, depending on what kind.  Also, associated with a lot lest pain than the other two you mentioned.  You can't avoid what will happen, but you can lessen the chances.  It's really important to get regular aerobic exercise (running, swimming, biking), to eat a diet high in flavinoids and anti-oxidants, and to avoid carcinogens like tobacco smoke, etc.  Also, keep your weight down.  And even if you get cancer doing all these things, your chances of beating it will go up.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years