Oncology (General Cancer)/Hard Inguinal Lymph Nodes

Hi, I am a medical student and suffering from a bit of hypochondria. I have several hard, immobile inguinal lymph nodes bilaterally. Maybe 3-4 on each side, and they are not noticeably enlarged or changing size. Beyond that, I am healthy but slightly anemic.

They have been there for what I believe to be several years, though I wasn't really paying much attention to them until we started our oncology block. Should this warrant a biopsy?  Thank you so much

You are describing a common problem. Hard enlarged non-tender nodes in the groin are found in many individuals.  We aren't sure why they pop up but when biopsied seem to be granulomatous.  Some people speculate that they are a reaction to fungal elements in the genitourinary tract, or less likely, the feet.  In any event, if they've been unchanged for many years and are not painful, I wouldn't give them another thought.  The anemia, though, might be worth looking into, because it's uncommon for a male of your age to have anemia.  You might have some low-grade gi blood loss or some deficiency state.  I'd check that out.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years