Oncology (General Cancer)/Mural Uterine Leiomyoma

Question
I was having an ultrasound in the ER after having a miscarriage and I was looking through the test findings and it stated "Instantly noted is a small entry mural uterine leiomyoma in the right posterior uterine body measuring 1.1 x 0.8 x 2.9 cm." Thought it was never brought to my attention I was wondering if this is something that I should have my gynecologist look into, possibly get a biopsy?

Answer
These are quite normal, and many women have small leiomyomas, which are easy to tell by ultrasound or CT scan from more serious problems.  Given how common they are, most of the time we don't biopsy them; however, another ultrasound in six months or so to see if there is any change in the size might be reasonable.  However, there are many who would feel that even this is overkill.  Your gynecologist, however, should be aware of the finding.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.