Oncology (General Cancer)/possible Desmoid tumor

Question
QUESTION: I am a 58yr old woman who has been on Estrogen replacement for 13 years. I have a lump in upper right quadrant that can only be felt when sitting at 45degrees or standing, it appears to be growing I also developed many small lumps all over abdomen. General surgeon ordered ultra sound for biopsy but nothing really showed and as the lump cannot be felt when laying down he was unable to do biopsy. MRI of abdomen and pelvis revealed nothing conclusive, now he says to go back to see him if and when the lump can be felt when I am laying down. He did say it could be a Desmoid tumor, I am very concerned that he is ignoring something serious. If a second opinion is the right way to go do I look for a Sarcoma specialist? Thank you, I am getting very worried.

ANSWER: It is never wrong to ask for a second opinion. If this lump does not seem to be in your abdominal wall maybe an abdominal endoscopy should be done. If in your abdominal wall it can not be wrong to see a sarcoma specialist. Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply, I had an endoscopy done last year, January,I have acid reflux and was experiencing a constant lump in my throat, this was in fact my 3rd EGD. All was ok (turned out to be post nasal drip) is it possible for something to have grown that quickly? What I don't understand is why nothing is showing on the ultrasound or MRI. By the way I am 5' 2" and 110 lb, weight is staying quite stable. Thank you again

Answer
I do not understand that too! Well I did not mean a gastroscopy. I meant an endoscopy of your abdominal cavity. Growth rates can be quite different in different cases. If your doctor can palpate this lump maybe a needle biopsy may be possible guided by touch. Perhaps it could be done with you standing or sitting. Yes rather unusual but if that is the only way possible it probably should be tried.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.