Oncology (General Cancer)/Is less smoking harmful

Question
hi

i am 31 years old and have been smoking for long 15 years. earlier i used to smoke a lot around 20 cigarettes a day but for last 1 years but now i have been smoking very less like 4 cigarettes a day. i know still smoking is injurious to health and nothing can be guaranteed but very honestly i need to know that is there any chance of getting cancer with smoking 4 cigarettes a day? also i use a filter while smoking. i agree that quitting is the best solution but i will be happy to have your reply very honestly and straight forward!

Thanks in advance.  

Regards/Omar Farook

Answer
Of course the risk increases with how much you smoke, so obviously 4 cigarettes/day is less risky than 20 cigarettes/day. But in your case I also have to consider how long you have smoked. You have been smoking for 15 years ever since you were 16 years of age. The younger you are when you start the worse it is with regards to risk. Even if you stopped completely now it would take 10 years until your cancer risk would approach that of a non smoker (your heart risks however would disappear rather quickly). Keeping that in mind I still have to recommend that you quit completely! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.