Oncology (General Cancer)/tumor tests

Question
i am 46 years old female, i made CEA (1.7 ng/ml) up to 5, and CA 125 (12 u/ml) up to 35, and CA 19-9 (35 u/ml) up to 37, is CA 19-9 is  normal high? the doctor said its normal but if im concerned i can make M2-PK (Schebo test) just to be sure everything is okay. im worried my father had colon cancer when he was 73 he is now cancer free.

Answer
I do not recommend to use tumour markers in this way (except maybe with regards to PSA for prostate cancer) - for primary diagnosis - as they are far too uncertain! But since you have already done so I have to comment. In your shoes the levels of CEA & CA 125 would not alarm me in any way. Your level of CA 19-9 is somewhat more uncertain. So in your situation I would probably check it again. But what is sure is that since you have Colon cancer in your family and are no longer a teenager you do need to have your colon checked regularly, say once per year. It is best to start that now while your risk is still rather low. The best way to do that is by regular colonoscopies! Bot my wife and I do so regularly - her mother died of colon cancer and my rectum has been heavily irradiated due to prostate cancer treatment. So I DO recommend that you start such checks! In my opinion better than that other test you have mentioned. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.