Oncology (General Cancer)/bladder cancer that has moved to the lungs and Kidney,(recently removed)

My husband is currently half way through 6 treatments of chemo for above, they are diminishing, but the doctor(we live in France) mentioned necrosis(?) does this mean the lungs, or the tumours. He also said radiotherapy wasn't an option, and also no more chemo, is this normal?

Necrosis simply refers to the appearance of some tumors that are dying.  If the central part of a tumor dies, the tumor tissue becomes liquid, and that gives the appearance we call "necrosis".  As for the issue of chemotherapy, bladder cancer usually responds pretty well to chemotherapy, but doesn't get cured, and when it comes back, we don't have much that helps.  There are other drugs that can be tried, depending on what he is getting now, but with each course of treatment the benefit becomes less and the side effects greater.  I normally offer my patients two courses of therapy  (Your husband is getting his first course (the six treatments)  and I've seen some pretty good second line responses.  But unfortunately we don't have anything that cures this cancer once it has spread to other tissues.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years