Oncology (General Cancer)/gynecomastia?

Dear Dr. Nordquist:

I am an 84 year old man with a long history of CAD. My cardiac status is good. I have been experiencing pain around the center of my left chest. On self examination, I noticed that left breast is enlarged in comparison to the right.  

Mammogram and Ultrasound of the breasts were done. The radiologists' report says:"You have normal and dense breast tissue in the left breast and normal fatty tissue in the right breast. The dense breast tissue could hide abnormalities, and you might have other risk factors for breast cancer and you might benefit from supplemental screening tests."

Do you think a biopsy is indicated? I am concerned about the pain which gets worse with activity and also causes some shortness of breath. I do not feel any symptoms lying down.

I have been regularly taking a beta blocker, ACB, plavax, aspirin, Lipitor, thyroxine for thyroid, and flowmax for BPH. I have also taken Cardarone for arrythmias off and on, and have been off Cardarone for three years. Recent blood test are normal except RNP antibodies abnormal, 4.9 (AI) high.

Please allow me to applaud your volunteering efforts for sick people around the world.

Thank you,

ram anand

Gynecomastia is a probable diagnosis. To check the dense tissues in your left breast I thinkk an MRI breast scan should be done there (better than an ultrasound breast scan). A biopsy is only needed if any real abnormality shows up in your scan. Thanks! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy