Oncology (General Cancer)/lump in buttock

Question
I have a lump in my right buttock near where it joins the back of my thigh. It seems to grow overnight, then during the day subside somewhat. I have applied pressure to it and it seems to flatten out and reduce size. It is painful. I don't know if it is a lymph node or cyst or abscess. Not quite sure. From what I have read, this does not sound cancerous, but I am just a layman. I have tried to massage it out, however that results in more pain.

Answer
If it is painful and subsides during the day, I would suspect you have a cyst.  They are easily treated but can recur.  You are right that this doesn't sound cancerous;  it sounds like it is in the soft tissues where cancers rarely originate.  the usual treatment is to evacuate the cyst with a needle; that allows the physician to get an idea of what is in it.  If it recurs, minor surgery might be needed.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.