Oncology (General Cancer)/Metastatic Malignant Melanoma

Question
My Father was just told he has stage IV metastatic malignant melanoma, which had formed multiple legions in his brain.  They are starting with 10 days of Whole Head Radiation. He is not a candidate for the cyber knife because there are too many spots.

He did not ask the doctor how long he should expect to live, and that is a pressing question for most of us supporting him.
Also, with the whole head radiation treatment, what types of changes to his quality of life should we expect? Are there supportive care options that can help?

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Whole brain irradiation may buy a little time, but cannot cure him.  Often, with melanoma the amount of radiation that the brain can tolerate is not enough to really kill the tumors.  That being said, unless he is very elderly, I'd consider having the radiation.  There are risks to whole brain radiation, including sudden events like bleeding into one of the tumors, to more gradual problems like the loss of brain function over time.  However, I don't believe he will live long enough to have the second kind of problem.  Supportive care should be involved at this point, so that intervention can be introduced gradually, rather than at the last minute.  I would suspect he may have 3-6 months with whole brain radiation, depending on his response, and depending on where else he has disease.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.