Oncology (General Cancer)/Pancreatic Cancer

Question
Dear Dr.Higby Thank you in advance for your help.I have been treated for Pancreatic cancer with Chemotherapy and radiationtherapy.I have asked what rate of success does this therapy have on my cancer.I have not been given a real answer.It looks like this treatment is not working. Do know of the rate of success with chemo and radiation?Do you know about the rate of success Vitamin C IVS as chemotherapy for my cancer? I know a new cycle of chemo will be hard and may not work.Have a happy New Year

Answer
If you've not had removal of the pancreatic tumor by surgery, there isn't any realistic chance of cure.  Chem and radiation together are generally used when the disease cannot be operated on but is still in one place. We do know that this extends survival.  The cure rate even with surgery is disappointing.  As for chemotherapy, there are good regimens, worth trying.  I had one patient who came to me with liver involvement go for a year and a half, and he had three different kinds of chemotherapy.  Very often, if the chemo-radiation program is used, the chemo is 5FU.  Gemcitibine, carboplatin, and some other drugs have a low but real rate of response, and are not that hard to take.  IV Vitamin C has not been successful in treating any cancer, although some people feel better when they get it.  Sorry for the bad news, but by all means if they offer more chemotherapy, give it a try.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.