Oncology (General Cancer)/Taking of Combined Oral Contraceptive Pills

Question
Whether for getting regular periods(The patient suffers from Poly Cyst Ovarian Syndrome)taking Combined Oral Contraceptive Pills is safe.And A) how long it should be continued AT A STRETCH(IMPORTANT)
B)Possible side effects like headache/vomiting/drowsiness etc
C)Whether long time taking may lead to Cancer.

Answer
This is not my area of expertise.  However, in general the combined pill is safe, safer than many over the counter drugs.  I couldn't answer "A" at all.  In general I think you could take these indefinitely, but I don't know what a gynecologist might answer.  As for the side effects, most people don't get serious side effects, and those that do, they tend to go away when you stop the pill.  I don't think headache, vomiting, or drowsiness would be expected.  The cancer risk of oral contraceptives, especially the modern ones, is very low, and some kinds of cancer may be reduced in risk, like ovarian cancer.  hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.