Oncology (General Cancer)/Biopsy results.

Dear Sir,
        I've had a punch biopsy done on my shine due to a rash that was previously diagnosed as eczema.

The results show globular hyaline material deposits in the papillary dermis.  There is mild acanthosis and hyperkeratosis.  The deposits are weakly staining with Congo red special stain and strong positive with anti-CK (AE1/AE3) and CK5/6.  CK 18 immunostain is negative.

The report Diagnosis says Lichen Amyloidosis.

I have googled most words but are AE1/AE3 and CK5/6 tumour markers?  Is it just Lichen Amyloidosis?

Thank you.

The positive values for anti-CK and CK simply show that the tissue taken had skin in it.  These tests are not "tumor markers" but rather, stains for particular proteins found in certain tissues.  Sometimes they are helpful in diagnosing a tumor type, or where it came from.  If a tumor from a lung stains positive, that would suggest it was a "squamous cell" lung cancer, which would be treated differently from the more common "adenocarcinoma".  the CK 18 test, on the other hand, would raise suspicion for a certain type of cancer called "basil cell" which can occur in the skin.  
Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years