Oncology (General Cancer)/Dad's colon cancer

December 2012 Dad, 88 years old, had tumor removed from his colon.  He left hospital with colostomy.  X-ray showed spots on left lung as well which were determined to be mets from colon cancer.  PET scan showed areas of cancer in left lung as well as adrenal on left side.  Dad chose not to have treatment due to his age.  Now over a year later he is living in his own home.  We have caregiver twice a day to help him with the ostomy (he also has macular degeneration so can't see well enough to empty it himself).  His weight is steady as are his vitals when Hospice checks them once a week.  Since he is with Hospice he has had no further scans or bloodworm so we're not sure what's going on.  We are thankful that he's doing so well - however know this can't continue.  I am anxious and upset and don't know what to expect.  Please provide some guidance.  Thank you.

Tumors like patients are individuals not identical carbon copies/clones. The progress of his cancer depends on the growth rate of the cancer. Of that we know nothing (except that it probably is rather slow based on his present condition) since it probably has never been determined based on your information. No his present will not last indefinitely, but that is the case with all of us. So we should just be grateful for all the time he gets before more problems arrive. Since his lungs are affected any new problems probably will have to do with his breathing. But that is not sure. If his cancer has spread to somewhere as seems likely here (to his lungs) it has probably also spread to somewhere else though so far unknown. Where that may be is anybody's guess. But that place may well determine any new problems. That is all I can tell you at present. There is also no way of telling when that will happen.Sorry I can not be of more help but no one can.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy