Oncology (General Cancer)/several small hard lumps

Question
I recently discovered a small lump - around 5mm diameter - lying just below my adam's apple but I don't think on my thyroid gland. It may be moved around slightly and is painless. I also have two similar lumps in the muscle underneath my jaw and one on the back of my shoulder, these have all been there for a few years.

I visited the doctor about the new one and was told to keep an eye on it to see if it gets bigger. I am 22 and am now worried that the lumps may be related to each other. I feel embarrassed going back to my GP  and showing them the other lumps, considering they have been there for a while do you think there is cause for concern? Any advice would be welcome, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the nature of these lumps as they seem to match the description of cancerous nodes.

Thank you

Answer
They are probably all lymph nodes. If they have been there for several years and without change there is most probably no cause for concern. If however there is any change at all you should let your doctor check it again. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.