Oncology (General Cancer)/Stage 1a clear cell kidney cancer

Question
I just had post-right partial nephrectomy surgery. I had a clear cell renal cell carcinoma, stage 1a - grade 3 (of 4).
 Here is the Genetic testing.
  Results: Specimen - Tissue-tumor Result 92.xxxx{8}/46.xx{22}
Interpretation: The result is abnormal. Of 30 metaphases, 22 were normal and 8 were 92.xxxx. These results exceed the normal limit for polyploidy (up to 6% cells). Tetraploid cells can be seen in a variety of solid tumors and are non-specific. Clinicopathologic correlation is indicated.
 Banding Q/G Analyzed 8 Karyotyped 3
 Banding QFQ Analyzed 22 Karyotyped 0
Band resolution 400
Reason for referral: renal cell classification, cyst adnexa

Ok, my question is at my 3 month checkup the surgeon said I would have to have ct of pelvis and abdomen every year for rest of my life. At the 1st year checkup all is well, again surgeon said check ups every year with cat scans with contrast. This last year(2012) the 2nd year all was good. But, I did not see the surgeon. I saw his assistant. Which is fine, all is good but he said that we will go with ultrasound this year (2013) and skip every other year. My question is it common to change their minds after 2 years of good scans? Will a ultrasound do a good enough job?  I am just nervous because it was grade 3 of 4. What do you think? I realize it is only stage 1, so am worrying for nothing. i am 49, perhaps saving on radiation? Thank you.

Answer
Yes it was a stage 1 and that explains it. Ultrasound scans will at least give a good enough check up. The procedure will also keep your radiation exposure down which IS a major concern here. The CT scans remain necessary though in order to also cover your bones and to give extra security. I do agree with your doctor! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.