Oncology (General Cancer)/Uterine thickening and dysuria.

Question
I am a 60 year old woman. I recently had an abdominal and suprapubic pelvic ultrasound. It was requested by my gastroenterologist to rule out gall bladder problems.I had been experiencing nausea as well as intermittent right abdominal pain. I've had bloating  lately as well as generalized pelvic pain /discomfort.I don't think that the right abdominal pain and the pelvic pain are related.I have collagenous colitis which is being treated with Butesonide (started Butesonide ~ 3 weeks ago). These symptoms are not related to the colitis.
The ultrasound was generally unremarkable. However, they found the right kidney had an extra -renal pelvis with slight fullness, but no significant abnormality. I have had numerous bladder infections over the years as well as one kidney infection. I have some pain before, during, and even after urination. I have  no bladder infection at present, nor do I have interstitial cystitis. The pain in the lower abdominal area persists quite a while after urination.
I also have an 8 mm thickening of the uterus . I only use small amounts of low-dose topical estrogen for senile vaginitis. I never took oral hormones. I have had some spotting of blood in the last few weeks, and minor spontaneous bleeding 2 weeks ago. I have been in menopause for ~6 years. I had one ovary removed ~ 10 years ago because it had a very large cyst which ruptured.The biopsy was negative. I also have negative pap tests.
The radiologist advised me to see the gynaecologist soon. I have an appointment with my gynaecologist mid-January  for a biopsy when he is back from vacation. I had brought the report to the gynaecologist's group office. The other doctor there, who I have never seen told me to wait until my own doctor comes back. We also have socialized medicine in Quebec. However, your system in Sweden is far superior to ours. Patients diagnosed with cancers often have to wait months for treatment. That's not to say that that I think I have cancer.However I am concerned.
Should I worry? Do you think  that I probably will be a candidate for  a hysterectomy?
I appreciate your kind consideration of this matter.

Thank-you,
Harriet

Answer
What this really is is far too early to say at present. Not until the biopsy report is in will we know. A general gynaecology check up is probably also in place. The risk that this is cancer is probably not big but it is not 0. And every woman with postmenopausal bleedings should be checked. By the way our system here is not so perfect as you may think. At your age a hysterectomy would not be a problem.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.