Oncology (General Cancer)/vaginal cancer and carboplatin chemo

My mom is 87 and was diagnosed with vaginal cancer about 4 months ago. She had a cat scan which showed enlarged lymph nodesin the pelvic area and periaortic. The lymph node biopsy  showed vaginal cancer cells. She just completed 3 treatments of carboplatin and went back in for another cat scan. This one showed that the lymph nodes in the pelvic area were even bigger but the periaortic ones stayed the same. She is trying to decide whether to do 3 more treatments of carboplatin. The doctor didn't seem to know if it had helped keep the clear cell carcinoma from advancing even more or if it didn't do anything. She is in good shape and the chemo didn't bother her too much.

If it did not bother her much I think it should be tried. However there seems to be no sign of any effect of the treatment either, so her doctor may have to consider another chemotherapy scheme. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy