Oncology (General Cancer)/Metastatic Melanoma

I have just recently brought my 87 year old father home to live with me.  He was recently diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma.  He was living in Florida but after a stroke has been unable to stay alone.  He is refusing any kind of treatment which I certainly respect.  However, I am worried on what to expect.  At this time he is just a little confused (otherwise his mind is great), is a little unsteady on his feet but he is eating well.  Are there any signs I should be looking for that will tell me it is time to get perhaps Hospice involved?  I am clueless on what to expect.  I love my father dearly and I want to respect his wishes but I am very scared about what to expect.  Thank you for any help you can give.

Has his melanoma spread to his brain? If so the process will be rather swift (weeks to a few months) during which he will become more and more confused and sleep more and more. When he sleeps all the time his end will be near. There will be no pain. There is anyway not much that can be done in a case like this. It is time to contact hospice right away! I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy