Oncology (General Cancer)/mets breast cancer

Question
My mom was diagnosed just 6 months ago with her2 negative, estrogen positive 80% breast cancer.  She had a partial mastectomy, and the cancer in the breast was removed, however now a 2 cm spot has been found on her spine and she has mets.  She has started taking femera and exgeva. I'm wondering what other drugs if any we should be looking into or asking our dr about?  I've been reading about tamoxifen?  Also what does the 2 cm spot represent?  If we are able to stop its growth does that mean it stops the cancer which is already flowing through her body. Does one equal the other?  She will be having some stereotactic radiation on the spot in a matter of weeks.  She is in good health and 66 years old with no pain at the moment.

Answer
Tamoxifen does not add any advantage over the drugs she is already taking. The spot most probably means that her cancer has spread to that location. If it has spread to one place it may also have spread to other as well even if not yet detected or even not yet detectable. The drugs she is taking will however slow down any breast cancer cell growth since the tests did show that her cancer is hormone dependent. The planned treatment combination of the drugs she is taking and stereotactic radiation therapy of the known spot is in my opinion a good plan and I can at the moment not suggest anything better.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.