Oncology (General Cancer)/squamous skin cancer spread to bone?

"A ct scan radiology report done a month after a rather large squamous cell cancer mass was removed from my jaw area by MOHS surgery said, "There is a defect of the maxilla anteriorly and laterally on the right. This lucency may represent a lytic process or postsurgical."

How likely is it for squamous cell skin cancer to spread to bone?

What kind of specialist would be appropriate to see about this situation.  I went to an oncologist and he didn't look under the bandage or in my mouth or at the cd with the ct scan images.  He said it couldn't be cancer because he said *skin* cancer of squamous type didn't spread to the bone.  I wondered did he not like me questioning a fellow doctors work or what?

What would be the best way or ways to determine if the jawbone does have cancer?"

Depends on many factors including size & malignancy of your lesion. Of that I do not know much except that it was "rather large". The oncologist was right to a degree. It is unlikely that your tumor has spread in that way. But it is not impossible. The surgeon who did your surgery should be able to tell if your bone defect was caused by your surgery or not. Care of cancers should be a team work including surgeons, radiation oncologists and medical oncologists. That gives the best results! Combined x-ray pictures, isotope bone scans & maybe MRI scans may tell us the nature of this defect too. The reason several specialists may be needed is the fact that treatment combinations (like surgery, radiation therapy & chemotherapy) often give the best results. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy