Oncology (General Cancer)/Bizarre lump at the back of neck

Question
Hello Doctor,

A few days ago I noticed a vaguely uncomfortable feeling when tilting my head back and pushing it against the back of my neck. Not pain, but more like a swelling feeling. I've had this feeling before in my life but this is the first time I paid more attention to it.

I felt it with my hand and there is a lump that I can feel right above my spinal C7 process, in the middle of the neck (maybe very slightly to the right). It's about 1 inch below the hairline and its size is around 1/2 inch and rather round-ish. I can only feel it when I tilt my head back. If I press on it, it can be compressed and it disappears (until I feel the C7 process behind) and comes back on release, like a rubber button of some sort.

When I lean my head forward I can feel the C7 process which is quite prominent but there's no squishy lump.

Can this be something serious, like a lymph node or perhaps some tumor related to my spine? I've read that lymph nodes are not situated as low on the back of the neck. I can't feel this squishy lump in other positions.

I'm a 30 year old woman.

Answer
It does not have to be serious but it may be. But without any examination of my own it is impossible to tell you what it is. Yhere are in fact quite a few possibilities. So I do suggest that you let a doctor check it soonest so that we may know what it is. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.