Oncology (General Cancer)/Mother's liver cancer

Question
My mother is 86 and has bile duct cancer that has spread to the liver.  She is to start chemotherapy in a week.  Her symptoms are a sharp pain in her upper right side abdomen, extreme tiredness, sleepy often, loss of appetite, constipation and depressed.  She is not vomiting nor running a fever at this time.  Two questions.

1. Will the doctor give her chemo if she is in pain from the cancer?
2. In terms of life expectance, what can you tell us from above, is it weeks, a few months or more?

Thank you,

Larry Thomas

Answer
1. Her doctor SHOULD give her ALL necessary medication against pain. Especially in a case like this! Pain or its treatment should not interfere with chemotherapy.
2. With chemotherapy it is weeks to a few months. Without it only weeks. Both my parents died from this 33 and 23 years ago. No chemotherapy was used in those days.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.