Oncology (General Cancer)/20+ brain tumors without symptoms

Question
Hello Dr. I watched a television program recently in which people with disease and illness affecting the brain were featured. There was a man who was diagnosed with advanced brain cancer, who had over 20 lesions on the brain. Despite this he was largely asymptomatic at the time of diagnosis. He was able to walk, talk normally and do most things a healthy person could do. One of the doctors was shocked that the patient was coping so well with so many lesions. Dr Nordquist, have you encountered any similar cases? Sadly the patient died 6 months after the diagnosis.

Answer
If the cancer has spread to the brain from a cancer somwhere else in the body - a typical example would be from the lungs - there may be several lesions in the brain. If they are found early and therefore small the symptoms may still be small. But I agree the described case was rather drastic!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.