Oncology (General Cancer)/blood labs

Hi. You were gracious enough to answer a question for me earlier and I appreciated it. I am an alcoholic who quit drinking 12 days ago. I had low platelets of 48,000 and today retesting it was in the 90,000 + range, which I am happy about. But my liver function test was up to 200 which I guess indicates liver damage. Is it possible it is artificially high as I have not quit drinking for very long? Also I read that cholesterol drugs and benzos like xanax raise liver function .....is this true. Thank you and I hope to hear from you, I really appreciate it. Oh, I get a ultrasound on Thurs. morning. Bob

A lot of alcoholic damage to the liver can be reversed, at least as far as indicators such as liver enzymes are concerned.  Some drugs can change liver function as you mention.  From what you have described I suspect that your liver damage and your hematologic abnormalities are related to the alcohol, and perhaps if you stop completely things will revert to normal.  Ultrasound is looking for mass effects, which might suggest a tumor of the liver, called "hepatoma".  I would suggest you join AA and get alcohol free.  You'll live longer.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years