Oncology (General Cancer)/platelet level

Question
I had blood labs done and my platelet level is low at 48,000. I am a heavy alcoholic and quit drinking and in 12 days I retest. Is this enough time for platelets to recover? Thanks

Answer
Twelve days may not be enough; and sometimes a low platelet count is due to liver damage.  Platelets can be damaged in the liver, and sometimes the spleen becomes enlarged as a result of liver damage, and then the platelets can be damaged there as well.  Whether or not they get better, you shouldn't have problems at 48,000, but any lower, you might.  There are some disorders that can cause "pseudothrombocytopenia" and your doctor should test you for that as well, which basically means drawing the blood in heparin rather than edta.  some alcohol abusers tend to have this problem as well.  Hope you can stay away from the alcohol!  Good luck.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.