Oncology (General Cancer)/Thymic tumor size

Is a 4cm thymic mass considered large?

Yes, that's worth worrying about.  Given that malignancies of the thymus are not uncommon, I'd certainly consider finding out more about it.  If it's accessible to a fine needle biopsy, that would be good; otherwise, a PET scan might help clarify things.  At least the image should be repeated in six weeks or so to see if it is growing.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years