Oncology (General Cancer)/Colon cancer

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr.
My mother had colon cancer 4 years ego. after surgey and chemothropy, she's better. Now in test cea= 2 (normal <5) and
ca 19-9=42 (normal <37). what is the mean?

Thanks a lot

ANSWER: A slight elevation in ca-19-9 may not mean anything.  Sometimes irritation of the lining of the intestines can cause this.  However, it also may reflect pancreatic or gall bladder cancer.  So what I would do is repeat the test about six weeks later, and if it is still abnormal, I would look for evidence of pancreatic or other upper gastrointestinal malignancy.  I don't think this has anything to do with the colon cancer.  Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Dear Dr.
Has the risk of infection to the pancreatic and another cancer been increased by a slight elevation in ca19-9? How much?

Best Regards

Answer
Many of the tumor markers we use are produced by normal tissues.  It is when their numbers are abnormal that we are concerned.  However, since they are produced by normal tissues, there are things that can cause overproduction (a little bit) which are not cancer.  The elevated CA 19-9 is not a "risk factor" for cancer.  It's possible that it reflects an underlying cancer, but at this level, not certain.  As I said before, I would repeat the test in six weeks and if it is rising, I'd be concerned.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.