Oncology (General Cancer)/CT scan reveals 3mm growth

I recently volunteered as a healthy subject for a pulmonary study. The CT scan showed small airway disease and as 3mm growth in the (L) super lobe. I am 64, non- smoker for over 30 years and smoked intermittently for about 5 years total, averaged about 1 cigarette (not pack) a day during those years. I am not exposed to secondary smoke nor any known environmental pollutants. I am overweight, but exercise most every day for an hour (4 miles). No cough, not bleeding, no pains, no respiratory distress. Odd symptoms that I cannot decipher or relate are sporadic flushing, palpitations, unprovoked wheezing and frequent loose stools with urgency. None of these symptoms are provoked by exercise or diet. I am on synthroid, simvistatin, low dose aspirin, and losartan.  All these drugs are long-standing. My blood pressure is usually very low but because it shoots up very high I am on the BP medication. I was tested for a pheochromocytoma about 15 years ago (negative).

A 3 mm growth is not large enough to biopsy with a fine needle.  Most of the time in someone with small airway disease these nodules are benign.  REcommendations for your situation are that you have a repeat scan in three months, another in six months and another in a year.  If there is no change in the nodule, you can presume it's benign.  If there is growth, it needs to be investigated (biopsy, surgical removal).  Even if there is no growth over two years. it's still important to check every now and then. Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years