Oncology (General Cancer)/estrogen

78 yrs. old. Hope you can help  me on this.  No breast or other female cancers in family.  I am using a 10mg vagifem inserted vaginally twice a week.  I only have one ovary, no uterus, ovary had multiple cysts in 2003, it was removed. (not cancerous)
Are chances of breast cancer to be considered, and other ovary?
I have lbbb, and two minor leaky valves in heart.  Not on any meds.
Uterus removed because of fibroids in 1965.
Hope you can enlighten me.  Thanks

If you've made it to 78 without breast cancer, I doubt that your risk is very high.  We also know that people who actually get breast cancer at this age tend not to die from it.  It can usually be controlled with a pill like tamoxifen.  As for the vagifem, we know that a little of this chemical is absorbed into the blood stream, but you need special tests to detect it.  Most of it stays in the vagina, where it prevents "vaginal atrophy".  All in all, I wouldn't worry, and I would continue to use the vagifem.  Good luck!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years