Oncology (General Cancer)/melamine/formaldehyde smoke & cancer?

Recently I inhaled some melamine/formaldehyde smoke (from melamine utensils accidentally put in a microwave over), bad enough to  irritate my throat. How much, if any, would this increase my risk of getting throat or lung cancer?

With the exception (maybe) of benzene, exposure to chemical carcinogens must be "chronic" in order to slightly increase your risk of cancer.  The cancer risk and the degree of irritation are not related.  I wouldn't worry.  However, if you smoke or hang out with a smoker, you probably should stop that.  That would increase your risk of lung or throat cancer, far more than a single exposure to melamine/formaldehyde smoke.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years