Oncology (General Cancer)/urine

can painless bright red urine in 15 year old boy with no other symptom which occur only 1 day and ultrasound and urine microscopic was normal can it be sign of bladder cancer or other tumor

Red-colored urine is not necessarily blood - red or brownish urine discoloration can be caused by other things (for example, muscle breakdown, foods, etc).  Part of the reason for doing the urine microscopic is to confirm that there are indeed red blood cells in the urine. If the presence of blood is confirmed, note that up to 5% (one in twenty) of adolescents will have blood at some point in one urine sample.  The chance of the blood being related to any kind of cancer is extremely small.  If he has had a negative microscopic and ultrasound and this is a one-time episode of bleeding, nothing more needs to be done.  

Please note that extensive testing to try to uncover a disease like bladder cancer in an adolescent, when the chance of actually having cancer is so unlikely, has its own price (and I don't mean just in dollars).  There is no treatment or diagnostic test in medicine that does not have a down side.  Tests should be done if there is a reasonable chance of finding out something worthwhile (or ruling something out).  But, if it is very doubtful that the testing is going to shine any light on what is going on, they are not worth subjecting you child to.   

I hope this helps,  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Juliet Seigle, MD

I am a fully trained radiation oncologist and can answer many questions about cancer and its treatment. I can't answer questions about specific chemotherapy agents. I have also worked in general medicine and emergency medicine, so I can give advice about these areas as well. I would like to do this based on my very positive experience with one of your experts (real estate).

For the past three years, I have been the Medical Director of Kauai Oncology in Kauai, Hawaii. Prior to that, I was on the staff at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. I completed my residency and fellowship in radiation oncology at Georgetown University's Lombardi Cancer Center in Washington DC. I have done research and given talks on neurooncology (tumors of the nervous system) at national meetings. I have been trained in the use of state-of-the-art technologies such as the CyberKnife. I was emergency physician at a busy community hospital (Calvert Memorial Hospital) in Maryland for 3 years (1989-1991).

ASTRO (American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology)

Georgetown University Hospital: fellowship radiation oncology 2005-2007 Georgetown University Hospital: residency radiation oncology 1991-1994 Georgetown University Hospital: residency neurosurgery 1984-88

Award for best abstract - CyberKnife Users meeting 2005 (topic: chordoma) ASTRO research award $30,000, 1993