Oncology (General Cancer)/Ca 72-4

Question
What is the utility of ca 72-4? The pt is a 24 yof with no significant past medical hx other than gi complaints of intermittent pain. No scope has been done, treated with proton pump inhibitors. No wt loss, anema. Being seen by MD in e Europe. No family hx of ca or genetic gi disease. Thank you for insight

Answer
CA 72-4 is an antigen that is associated with gastric (stomach) cancer.  However, it is not useful in diagnosis, but rather, in evaluating the effects of therapy, or considering relapse.  Your patient sounds quite young to have gastric cancer.  I hope, however, that the patient has had an upper endoscopy.  There are some pre-cancerous conditions which might cause chronic upper gi complaints, like Barrett's esophagus, achlorhydria, or C. Difficiele infection.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.