Oncology (General Cancer)/Mole on sole of left foot

Question
Mole on bottom of left foot
Mole on bottom of left  
QUESTION: Hi I just recently noticed this mole on the bottom of my left foot. I never seen it there before, it is dark, flat, and perfectly round. I was wondering is this normal? Or should I be worried.  Also is it normal for moles to grow there? And finally, is it a mole or a blood blister?

ANSWER: If it's flat, perfectly round, and doesn't have any other serious characteristics, I'd just keep an eye on it for now.  If it seems to be getting larger, then by all means have it seen by a dermatologist.  I don't think it's a blood blister.  These kind of moles can appear on the palm or sole.  They aren't unusual.  Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for replying.
It is flat, and it doesn't bother me. I only noticed it a couple of days ago when massaging my calves due to strenuous excersise. My mom said its been there since I was little, but I only noticed it recently. My question is can moles appear overnight? Or do they take some time to actually form, because like I said, I just recently noticed it there, also I haven't seen it there before other than my mom saying it was there since I was little.

ANSWER: That's a question I can't answer.  It is certainly common for people to notice moles at some point in their lives -- but the only way you know if it wasn't there before is if you carefully inspected the same area before you noticed the mole.  Like examining your foot carefully week after week, and suddenly noticing a mole.  What usually happens (and it has happened to me) is that you do something unusual which causes you to examine part of your body and you notice a mole that you'd never seen before.  In my case, I began to do extreme twists around my trunk, and spotted a mole just behind my left rib cage.  In your case, you were massaging your calves.  If your mother says it has been there, it probably has.  

QUESTION: Thank you for relying, and being patient and helpful.
One last question, so I should monitor it for about a month to see if any changes occur, and if nothing changes then I shouldn't worry right?

Answer
I would take a picture of it as you did, and measure it.  It is so small that I would want to see it triple in size before I would worry.  I would monitor it on a monthly basis until three months go by and it hasn't changed.  You can obviously do more, but I think if you follow these recommendations you'll be safe.  (I don't think you really have a problem anyway, but it can't hurt.)

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.