Oncology (General Cancer)/precancerous treatment

Question
QUESTION: This past week I received a liquid nitrogen treatment on my nose and upper lip. The Dermatologist also used a Bovie cauterizing method after the liq nitro. I'm now questioning (after reading treatments on the web) if this was over kill, thus making me scar more.
Thanks,

ANSWER: I don't know what your dermatologist was treating?  If he was treating a basal cell cancer, it sounds like he was doing the right thing.  If it was actinic keratosis, I don't know whether it was serious enough to cauterize.  So unless I know what he is treating, I can't answer your question.  Sorry.

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. I apologize for not adding that the treatment was for actinic keratosis. Is there a product you could suggest that would help the scaring?

Answer
You can't completely prevent scars.  However, there are some things that can minimize them:
a)  Stay out of the sun while it is healing
b)  keep the area clean and dry
c)  gently massage the area (after any stitches, etc., are remived)
d)  There are some "scar creams" out there, but probably steroids are the only substances which have been shown to affect scars -- and I wouldn't do that without talking to your doctor.  

Sometimes bovie cauterization is used in conjunction with LN because certain areas cannot be easily exposed to the full effects of the LN.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.