Oncology (General Cancer)/Angiomyolipoma or kidney cancer

I am a 49 female who is 5'10" and weighs 150 pounds. Three years ago, I had clear cell stage 1 - grade 3 kidney cancer in the right kidney. Had surgery all was good. This year we had a ultrasound instead of a Ct scan. The report came back 5 x 5 x 9 Mm benign-appearing echogenic focus in the mid to upper left kidney likely represents a small angiomyolipoma.
 Ok, the doctor said it is too small to biopsy. So we need to wait to see if it grows. Having a ct in November.
How often does it turn out to be benign? Should I be concerned? Is the only sure way to know if it is clear cell to biopsy? If it is this angiomyolipoma tumor, how often do you see this? it is hard to just wait. Is there something to do or not do, in terms of size? Thank you for your time.

If a biopsy at the moment is not possible all we have is the ultrasound picture of it (though I have to say that the measurements you give me make me believe that an ultrasound guided needle biopsy of your lesion should - if available where you are - be possible and that should eliminate any long waiting times). Without any biopsy all we can do is wait. Was not your left kidney examined 3 years ago? If it was it should be possible to look for this lesion in your old examination material. If it is what they claim it is it probably was present at that time too. Please keep me posted! You have to ask a diagnostic radiologist - which I am not - about how often this kind of lesion is seen where you are (it is not the same rate all over the world). Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy