Oncology (General Cancer)/leukemia/lymphoma

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Gitelman Disease with hypokalemia as the prevalent symptom. I have labwork completed at Vanderbilt yearly and they also check for signs of leukemia.  My nephrologist informed me that I could have a slow growing form of leukemia.  He stated that it's almost a given that Gitelman patients have hypomagnesia as well and others in the family usually have it(which neither is true in my case).  I also have Hashimoto autoimmune disease.   I have had itchy skin since last Summer, flareups of eczema, and fatigue.  Recently, I found a non tender lump under armpit(in the upper area).  I also bleed a lot when cut.  I found this out when I cut my leg last August and started bleeding profusely in the hallway after getting stitches.  The Dr. asked again if I was on blood thinners.  So, I thank you in advance for your input.

Well the risk is certainly there. The only tests to find our that I can recommend - apart from the usual hematologic blood tests - are fine/thin needle aspiration biopsies of the lymph glands you have found and bone marrow biopsies. If they are all negative there is at least no sure signs of any leukemia.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

Questions concerning Cancer, Oncology, radiation Therapy, Tumours, Chemotherapy, Cytotoxic Drugs, Hormonal Therapy, Radiation Protection.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128 I have no restrictions in the number of questions there. I also answer questions in these other categories: General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

I'm a medical doctor and specialist in medical oncology and radiation therapy