Oncology (General Cancer)/Precancerous cells in uterous

I had heavy bleeding and pain during my cycles, so had a uterine biopsy, which was benign. Proceeded with an ablation, where they found and removed a questionable polyp and ridges.  The polyp was precancerous.  My doctor advises to wait to see if I have abnormal bleeding before proceeding with a hysterectomy.  My fear is the biopsy didn’t pick up the questionable cells, and with the ablation, this will make it difficult to visually monitor the situation.  Do I wait for ‘abnormal bleeding’ – which is why I saw her in the FIRST PLACE, or will that happen with the ablation?  Or do I get the hysterectomy?  My gut says take it out, but I am going to see a gyno oncologist.

I agree that you should get a second opinion from a gyn oncologist.  However, your doctor is probably right.  Precancerous polyps which are removed no longer pose a problem.  Ablation of the uterine lining is likely to destroy any other precancerous cells.  The lining will eventually grow back, hopefully normally, and can be monitored.  Finally under the very unlikely chance that you do get uterine cancer, with the kind of surveillance you are under it will almost certainly be curable.  Obviously you can probably find someone to do a hysterectomy as well, and sometimes for peace of mind that is not unreasonable.  However, I don't think you have a strong medical reason, from what you are saying.  Hope this helps.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.

I can answer almost all questions related to the treatment and natural course of most kinds of cancer, especially cancers of prostate, colon, lung and breast.

I have been a practicing medical oncologist for 36 years, and have been chief of service at a major medical center for 25 years. I've also done research in cancer treatments.

American Society of Clinical Oncology

New England Journal of Medicine American Journal of Medicine Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Hematology Transfusion Medicine

MD, Stanford University Internal Medicine residency, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO Medical Oncology Fellowship, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY

America's Best Physicians, last 14 years