Oncology (General Cancer)/SARCOMATOID CARCINOMA LUNG

Question
MY FATHER IN LAW 65YRS DETECTED SARCOMATOID CARCINOMA IN RIGHT LUNG.HE WAS A SMOKER FOR 40 YRS.ONCOLOGIST SAY,CHEMOTHERAPY IS NOT POSSIBLE as there is pleural effusion in lung and there is also pericardial effusion in heart.please advise what is the best treatment at this stage.May I have your E mail address so that I could attach the Biopsy,Immunohistochemistry report for reference.
regards
sudhansu

Answer
You can attach those via the All Experts question panel.  I've done it myself.  Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung is a rare variant, but tends to have the same degree of response as other non-small cell cancers.  However, with effusions, especially pericardial effusions, the best combinations of drugs cannot be given.  However, if he is in decent shape from a pulmonary standpoint, he should have a pericardiotomy and his pleural effusion should be treated.  Sometimes when this is done, chemotherapy can be given.  Unfortunately, you've described a very far advanced case and it is highly likely that nothing very useful can be achieved, even with everything that can be done.  Sorry.  

Oncology (General Cancer)

Donald Higby, M.D.