Oncology (General Cancer)/Submandiluar gland

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
I was wondering if its possible to feel the submandiluar gland? I am feeling two hard balls that move back and forth on my neck just under my jaw on each side. I had a lymph node biopsy done in may in which I thought what I was feeling were lymph nodes. Now that the ENT removed the lymph nodes in that area and the swelling is gone I am still feeling the same lump in the same exact area. I went back to the ENT and explained to him I was still feeling theses lumps and he said it was the submandiluar gland. I have not been able to find any info online that says you can actually feel these glands. Is this normal to fell them? My biopsy also came back benign as reactive lymph nodes.

ANSWER: It is often possible to do that. If available where you live ask for fine/thin needle aspiration biopsies of what you feel to have that verified.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: My ent felt and it and said it was my submandular gland. It's seems a little more prominent on the right side and when I push it it seems to move to the left side and vice a versa. Does that sound like the gland? Also I a ct and then they removed some enlarged lymph nodes below that area surgically so I assume if it was something different the ent surgeon would have seen it. Do you think a fine needle aspiration is still neasecary?

Answer
It is possible. I only mentioned that possibility - if available where you are - as a means of checking it once again. But if there is no change over time it certainly may not be necessary.

Oncology (General Cancer)

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.